Monday 26 December 2011

Reaction to public opinion


Clearly the level of understanding of glacial retreat is varied but I was impressed with the majority of responses. One thing that really stood out for me was the gentleman who was of the view that anthropogenic global warming was a load of rubbish. I guess it may well be my sheltered lifestyle but to hear someone say this was a surprise, he was clearly reasonably informed on the subject citing sunspots as the reason for the current warming trend we are experiencing. Clearly there are still skeptics out there and it is these people that must be persuaded of the problems that we are likely to encounter because of anthropogenic global warming.

As I said, all of the responses impressed me, I felt that the majority of people were well informed on the subject and had knowledge of global warming, the implications of it and possible combative techniques that could be implemented. One of the implications mentioned was quite extreme ‘civil war’, whilst it may sound ridiculous to the uninformed mind perhaps it is not as far fetched as it initially sounds. Take a country that relies heavily on glacial melt water to keep it well supplied with water throughout the year, not just supply it with water but also supply it with electricity through hydropower. If someone were to simply press the off switch I can imagine a lot of people would have a lot of comments to make. Could this turn in to a war of some kind, quite possibly if one country uses all of the water resources upstream of another country then I would certainly imagine arguments taking place. Whether war will break out; we will have to wait and see.

I hope that the video gives people a useful insight in to what members of the public think of the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment